Kiteboarding

Postby SaveTheMurray » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:48 pm

Does anyone here also kiteboard?
Me and a few mates are thinking about getting some gear and having a go, just woundering if anyone has any suggestions with what gear to buy?
SaveTheMurray
Blind 180

Postby spruiker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:57 pm

get a trainer & an instructional vid & learn the basics of the kite, then find a good instructor/school & get some lessons. Go up & have a chat to kiters when ya see em on the beach, most are happy to offer advice on gear selection & beach ettiquite. DON'T be talked into buying ram air kites, you can't unhook while riding these so tricks will all be gay hooked in dangles. :D
I never did change my dirty pee pants!!!!!!!
spruiker
Blind 180

Postby Aaron_Weir » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:39 pm

yer I'm a kiteboarder from south Australia i the gear what think is sic is cabrinha and liquid force but get some lessons first
Aaron_Weir
Fashion Air

Postby wakeboarder75 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:20 pm

k thats kinda freaky, i thinkin bout posting a kite boarding topic bout half hour ago. Im also thinkin bout getting into it as im moving to mackay which is on the coast and prob wont get out behind a boat much
wakeboarder75
Toe 720

Postby skiddz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:52 pm

definitely alot of fun. Make sure you get lessons from someone local, then they can advise you of what gear you should get
skiddz
Blind 180

Postby wakeboarder75 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:54 pm

do you need to buy a kiteboard or are wakeboards good enough
wakeboarder75
Toe 720

Postby Aaron_Weir » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:00 am

wakeboards are fine they just go a little bit more weight in them and with kiteboarding i think its better to have straps then boots but heaps of kiteboarders are using boots but i think it would be hard while flying the kite and trying to get your feet in them when u start
Aaron_Weir
Fashion Air

Postby wakeboarder75 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:48 pm

couldnt really be bothered putting straps on, ill see if i drown when i have a go. but it probs wont be till next yr yet
wakeboarder75
Toe 720

Re: Kiteboarding

Postby Wello_kiter_Elizabeth » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:46 pm

SaveTheMurray wrote:Does anyone here also kiteboard?
Me and a few mates are thinking about getting some gear and having a go, just woundering if anyone has any suggestions with what gear to buy?

I just posted this in the other forum
http://wake.com.au/modules.php?name=For ... ic&t=18905

I will be teaching ALL NEW guys AND girls about the basics of kiting, and just test it out or book at lesson with the school if ur into it!

anyone interested I woudl LOVE to see you there! Guys or girls.
More info at www.surfconnect.com
or email me wello_kiter_elizabeth@hotmail.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wello_kiter_Elizabeth

Postby Wello_kiter_Elizabeth » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:53 pm

spruiker wrote:DON'T be talked into buying ram air kites, you can't unhook while riding these so tricks will all be gay hooked in dangles. :D

ALL kites you can UNHOOK from! UNHOOKED tricks are possible. Never heard of 'ram air kites' but all genuine kites can!

=D
Wello_kiter_Elizabeth

Postby spruiker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:05 pm

never heard of ram air? take a look at" peter lynn kites", commonly known as "doonas" they fly opposite to c or bow kites in that when you pull the handle in they depower, depending on how they're set up some to the point of stalling & falling out of the sky, so not ALL kites can be unhooked.
spruiker
Blind 180

Postby Wakestar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:21 pm

HEY KID WANT A NICE BALLOON?
Wakestar
Toe 720

Postby skiddz » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:52 am

wtf? doonas cant unhook?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nt8ATul ... re=related
he seems pretty unhooked to me (for some tricks :P)
skiddz
Blind 180

Postby Wello_kiter_Elizabeth » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:37 am

Yes ALL kites can unhook. PL kites (if they were called PL not ram air which i wasn't familiar with) especially do not stall and fall out of the sky!!! Talk about wrong.

Damn fellas. If you don't kite and haven't kited a foil kite, C or bow kite before, then yall dont know. The same as a bow kite, if you set it up incorrectly it WILL NOT fly and its power is screwed. easy.

same goes with PL kites with setup. Do anything wrong and of course it doesn't perform as you wanted it to. All kites are like this... They all have their 'sweet spots' and setups where they perform to their peak.

PL-aka doona or foil kites were the original style and idea behind the bow kites with their massive depower and wind rage. They were the only kite with the wind rage of a bow kite before bow kites came around. People just pay them out way too much for no apparent reason cuz they look like a sleeping bag!

Eitherway. So many kites to choose from with PL foil, hybrid, C kites, bow kites., and more.

:D
Wello_kiter_Elizabeth

Postby spruiker » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:41 pm

pl kites are designed to be flown from the harness, it is possible to set them up to fly unhooked but the amount of stuffing around to set them up +they are more expensive + don't relaunch as easy as inflatables makes the pump ups a better option for kiters with a wake background, I assume that as the original question on this thread was on a wake forum that save the murray is a wakeboarder with interest in kiting.

Foils & ram air differ as the ram air has 2 skins, usually 4line & vents in the leading edge that "rams" air inside to inflate it. I have flown a couple & almost bought them untill I flew them & realised that when you pull the bar in to unhook you change the angle of attack , in effect putting the brakes on . This action on a standard 4 or 5 line kite powers the kite up , the pl kites I flew stalled & fell out of the sky, the only way to counter this is to put a sheeter strap reversed on the front lines & shorten them as you unhook to keep the line tension equal between front & back. 2 much farking around when you can buy a conventional kite that is able to be unhooked straight out of the box.

Yes the bow kites are a progression from the original foil idea, but the original foil kites had bridles to hold their shape & were mostly 2 line which didn't allow you to depower on the fly. This is where the ram air type of kites came in, 4 lines allow for depower.

There is a way smaller percentage of kiters on ram air/foils than inflatables, I have never seen the best riders in the world on anything but inflatables. This speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned, the guys that fly rams tell you how forgiving they are but after flying both types, pump ups are a much better choice on all levels.

I suggest elizabeth, go & fly a doona & compare the 2. Then you'll see where I'm coming from with the depower thing. :idea:
spruiker
Blind 180

Postby spruiker » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:14 pm

just checked the link to utube above, the bar looked to have a sheeter that they never used to have, he may have it tweaked as the bar didn't seem to slide the way chicken loop bars do. maybe they come out closer to a conventional bar now, that was the venom 2, I haven't flown the newer ones , I flew the arcs a few years back & wasn't impressed. the dude in the clip shows they can be unhooked, but the deadman & pullup mobe did nothing for the cred of the sport, not to mention the tantrum that didn't flip. 3words, gay, gay, gay............
spruiker
Blind 180

Postby Aaron_Weir » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:09 pm

is there any other kiteboarders on wake besides the ones who have replyd if there is write in guys or are all the kiteboarders go on the website seabreeze
Aaron_Weir
Fashion Air

Postby spruiker » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:52 pm

I would be curious to know how many kiters there are on this site, there have been a few from time to time post kite threads, this is the longest one I've seen for a while.
spruiker
Blind 180

Postby skiddz » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:28 am

spruiker wrote:just checked the link to utube above, the bar looked to have a sheeter that they never used to have, he may have it tweaked as the bar didn't seem to slide the way chicken loop bars do. maybe they come out closer to a conventional bar now, that was the venom 2, I haven't flown the newer ones , I flew the arcs a few years back & wasn't impressed. the dude in the clip shows they can be unhooked, but the deadman & pullup mobe did nothing for the cred of the sport, not to mention the tantrum that didn't flip. 3words, gay, gay, gay............

hahah yea i know it wasnt the greatest kiteboarding video out, but i just wanted to show you that the newer doonas can unhook.

Anyway, a good dangle is always fun hahahaha
skiddz
Blind 180

Postby Wello_kiter_Elizabeth » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:40 am

Aaron_Weir wrote:is there any other kiteboarders on wake besides the ones who have replyd if there is write in guys or are all the kiteboarders go on the website seabreeze

yeap I am on seabreeze

Elizabethb is my username on seabreeze haha. I havent come on here for a while, because I have been to cable for a while, but yer LOL!

Cant wait to hit th cable park again soon. =]

liz
Wello_kiter_Elizabeth

Next

• Advertisement