wedge on wakesetter VLX

Postby longmuir » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:12 pm

does anyone have a wedge on a wakesetter VLX???
was told that just the intenal balast tanks are enough (and we use 1-2 extra fat sacks) and adding the wedge on top would produce a wake that is too steep!
any ideas??
longmuir
Back Roll

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:09 am

Longmuir,

Don't do it!!! The wedge on the VLX is a waste of time, money (both for purchase & fitting as well as increased feul consumption, try a 50% increase) and effort.

To get GRE to fit it up for you, you would be looking at about a grand. And yeah the wake characteristics make it steeper & adds a slight dip before you hit the wake, which can be off putting.

I have been riding behind a 03 VLX of late & the owner has spent the time getting everything setup right and integrated properly. Apart from the standard 3 bags (midship & 2 rear), he has added a 4th 'V' shape bag which is located under the front bow seating. It is plumbed in exactly the same way the factory MLS system is & is operated by a new MLS switch on the dash (or in his case, a dogleg panel with a shower switch as well).

The bag can hold about 150L, but then ity raises the cushions, so we have guessed it holds about 120L. He has also added 50kgs of lead. With only two people in the boat & 1 riding, you can feel the difference. It would also only cost about half of what the wedge would.

If you are keen, I will track down some photos of the setup & post em.

Those are my thoughts anyway...

Cheers

Steve
Steve
Temper Tantrum
Mastercraft Owner

Postby wbdu » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:48 am

I didn't think you could bye a wakesetter without the Wedge ?

We run a Response with Wedge down and 700KG or Wedge up and 1100KG

For a VLX we've had Wedge + 2 back (500KG) MLS 1 centre MLS and another sack on top of that up the bow (500KG).
Wedge up in a wakesetter you'd need 1500KG

Weight up the front is a must when running Wedge.

You won't ride a bigger wakes than this.
wbdu
Raley

Postby longmuir » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:26 am

we usually have the 150L sack runing down the center and 2 people on the back seat and 1 in passenger seat. maby need to try 1 more sack in the front aswell........cheers for the info
longmuir
Back Roll

Postby Brownie » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:54 am

wbdu

1300 in a response !!! Biggest I have had was 850kg plus crew of eight, was horrible to drive and took forever to plane, not to metion the sinkability. What is the set up for 1300kg?

Brad
RD.
Brownie
Temper Tantrum

Postby wbdu » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:31 pm

Well to start with we've got an ass-kickin' Black Scorpion engine that beats any boat out of the hole, this helps but the FREEX response only has the vortec carby engine and they weigh up more than us (freex)!!!

We've got 250KG each side of the engine
Either 350KG or the Wedge at the back
Then 200KG right up in the bow

Then load in your crew of 3-6 adds another 300KG

The FREEX run 300KG each side 150KG in front of the engine 150KG up the bow and Wedge down ! It does take about 15seconds to get you up though !
wbdu
Raley

Postby Jason » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:13 pm

longmuir,

I dont own a VLX so my opinion is based on riding with other owners of the VLX.

I have a 2002 Response Lx and run a set up that Steve recommended to me. 2 of my mates own the VLX and reckon the shape of my wake craps all over theirs. They both run the wedge. I dont.

I dont care what Malibu say about the wedge having no effect on the transom. If you are creating that much drag, it must be doing something.
Jason
Blender

Postby Jason » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:17 pm

wbdu

The new Malibu Monsoon 340hp craps all over the Black Scorp.
Tested the theory in Melbourne last week. 2003 Response fitted with 340 Monsoon up against a 2000 Response fitted with Black Scorp. 2003 Response was far superior. Much quicker out of the hole and a greater top end speed
Jason
Blender

Postby wbdu » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:40 pm

Well a 2003 340HP Mosoon SHOULD beat a 2000 315HP Black Scorpion.

If you put the mosoon up against the new 6.2Litre 340HP Black Scorpion the mosoon would be left for dead, that's why the Scorpions cost an extra $5000, then of course you can get a $25000 375HP corvette LS1 engine, but that's not the point, an Injected motor will beat a carby, but I don't think that was the point either.

Wasn't there something about wakes and malibus.....oh yeah, if you ask any experienced boarder they'll tell you a response wake sh!ts on a VLX wake.......unless you have twice as much weight to put in the VLX (boats twice as big) and lots of cash or a fuel sponsor because your fuel is double.

It's all about the hull shape and size of the boat - A Super Air only needs 700KG of ballast for a huge kick-ass wake, try putting 700KG in a VLX and get a better wake. I'll even let you use the Wedge !
wbdu
Raley

Postby pjdave » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:24 pm

or you could go with nautiques and run standard ballast and still have room to walk around, and get on the plane in seconds
brownie knows goats
pjdave
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby liquimalish » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:00 pm

yeah ive heard that a weighted down response is possibly better than a vlx, never ridden behind either but ive heard a coupla guys say it, they own a response btw
liquimalish
KGB

Postby Josh » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:03 pm

I've always said it, but a weighed down Sportster or Response beats a VLX wake hands down. If I were given the choice of any boat in the Malibu range I'd get the RLXi any day.

Either that or get a VLX, sell it and get a Nautique. :D
+ DOWNLOAD IN-TRANSIT NOW! + ALLIANCE & RIDERS CHOICE VIDEO OF THE YEAR + TRANSWORLD VIDEO SECTION OF THE YEAR +

www.buyintransit.com

Support independent wakeboard companies.
Josh
Vulcan

Postby liquimalish » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:28 pm

so the extra, wat is it bout 10K isnt worth it and better spent on fuel and beer?
liquimalish
KGB

Postby Jason » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:29 pm

Josh

If your ever down this way, your welcome to ride behind my Response Lxi anytime

Jason
Jason
Blender

Postby Jason » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:32 pm

wbdu

Sorry mate, I thought that I read in your original post that a Black Scorpion engine beats any boat out of the hole. I must have read it incorrectly.

I apologise for the error.
Jason
Blender

Postby wbdu » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:56 pm

No probs Jason, our boats not THE fastest out of any but for size, price etc.... You can't beat it

Hey Josh, you wrote RLXi, don't you mean RLX, what's the go with the RXLi, how do you weight them without sinkin' em'

My mate Scott - www.wakeboardingdownunder.com/news/sste ... rview.hmtl

bought one and almost sinks it !

We lent them our Wedge last week, put 200KG each side of the engine, 200KG up the bow and Wedge down, sick wakre until the first bow wave which ruined the wake, the nose dips down and when you gas slowly from standstill, it seems to submarine, not like other boats which seems to rise up???!!!!

who else has a Response LXi, what engine and what weight do you use??!!
wbdu
Raley

Postby wbdu » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:00 pm

Oh yeah that sick interview address URL was

www.wakeboardingdownunder.com/news/sste ... rview.html
wbdu
Raley

Postby Josh » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:11 pm

I've only ridden the RLXi once before, down at Melton with Brant, but I did quite like it. It wasn't heavily weighed down when we went out though.

I'm assuming it has the same basic hull as the response, only slightly stretched. If that's the case I wouldn't put any weight in the front anyway.

With Sportsters I like it when it's run with the back seat out and two 500lbs sacks behind the engine - one not totally full - and a 500lbs sack eack side of the engine. Same for Responses, except it has a back locker. Gives it a nice vert wake.

Jason, thanks mate, I appreciate it. I might actually take you up on that offer in the near future if I can and you don't mind. I'll be heading up to NSW with the World/Malibu Tour after this weekend for a couple of weeks. If you wanna PM me your number I could give you a call when I'm up there and see what's happening.

Cheers. :wink:
+ DOWNLOAD IN-TRANSIT NOW! + ALLIANCE & RIDERS CHOICE VIDEO OF THE YEAR + TRANSWORLD VIDEO SECTION OF THE YEAR +

www.buyintransit.com

Support independent wakeboard companies.
Josh
Vulcan

Postby Jason » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:02 am

wbdu

200kg of weight in the bow of a RLxi is way too much. The bow of the boat is slightly turned down. You should get away with very little weight in the bow. A common complaint is that the Rlxi takes a bit of water over the bow. According to many owners in the states, its a combination of poor boat driving and the fact that the nose sits very low in the water. The boat was never really designed with wakeboarding in mind. Its really for Slalom or Footing.

Jason
Jason
Blender

Postby wbdu » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:00 am

They need 200KG in the front to keep the nose down to push the wake out the back to ride a 70ft-75ft line)
It should handle, I know it's designed as a ski boat but the LX is only a barefoot/ski towboat and it's a lot smaller than theLXi.
We've 200KG in the nose of our LX and if the driver is experienced it's not a problem, their LXi seems to submarine in glassy water just coming to a stop, they have to keep slowly gassing it down to speed to keep power on the keep the nose up, can't just pull the throttle back to neutral like most boats?? Fault in the new hull shape I reckon ??

What's your weight setup ? and do you run Wedge ? Line length ?

The boat's should be able to put out a phat wake without sinking......

I actually just got back from a nice set with Scott behind MY LX - he hates hix LXi - it's for sale $52000 with 90hours tower, bimini, stereo
wbdu
Raley

Next

• Advertisement