Adjustable automatic ballast control!

Postby brad » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:08 pm

Update!

4 months of coding finished! (lost interest for a while) all 1600 lines! how ever i've alllready got some ideas on how to make it run better!, also i need to make it adjustable to run 1 - 6 sacks.

basicly, you select which sack you want and how many L's you want in it and it will do everything for you.. nice for lazy people like myself!

how ever now i need to fund some funds to buy some phat sacks, a kick ass impellor pump to do the rest of my development!

also..... any one got a perfect pass system i can have a look at im VERY interested to see whats inside a perfect pass system... ;) not that im interested in reverse engineering it or anything!

brad.
brad
Blender

Postby Ralph » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:27 am

How do you measure the # of litres in the sacs? By time or something else?
Niiiiice
Ralph
Whirly

Postby brad » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:49 am

thats for every one whos answered questions ive asked them.

ralph, basicly its an assload of maths, that depends on time, but the time is depended on how full/empty the sack is, as no pumps going to have linear graph.

how ever i will need to fine tune it once i sort out what pumps im going to use. (comerical scales + 44gallon drum of water + pump, then ill be able to calibrate the fill empty curves alot more closer to what they really are)

nothing some Jigory Pockery wont fix!
brad
Blender

Postby Pano43 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:11 am

hey brad r u going to be installing this system into your own Bu?
Ride RONIX ..
Pano43
Toe 720

Postby brad » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:15 pm

sure will be, once i finish developing it!, and have the coin to buy 4 sacks!, and some pumps!
brad
Blender

Postby Ralph » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:16 pm

Brad are you sure about the time based method of sac control, even if you get the pump curves matched exactly what happens when (not if!) the sac leaks a bit, the sack weight and counter will get out of sink, also the flow rates vary quite a bit if the boat is planing or not. I was going to do an auto off system for my ballast based on time but flagged it away cause it got to hard. Another option I thought of was a pressure pad with a millivolt output but I couldn't find one at a reasonable price. Just some food for thought.
Niiiiice
Ralph
Whirly

Postby aussie_stu » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:40 pm

what about a flow meter, like they use on some boats, they are able to tell you how much fuel you used and how much you got left etc, maybe you could use something similar??
aussie_stu

Postby jerome » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:05 pm

brad, your ballast system sounds similar to a plc prac i did on a dewatering control system for a mine.

i might be wrong but i think cars use a capacitive water level sensor to measure fuel level. you can get liquid flow sensors and liquid level float switches from RS. they may be helpfull.

i think perfect pass systems are just like a digital car cruise control which uses a through hull paddle wheel speed sensor. almost sounds easier to implement than the ballast system.
the tap - crailtap.com
jerome

Postby brad » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:27 pm

hey guys thanks for your inputs!

i looked arround at work for a flow meter but i couldnt find one! maybe ill have to buy one... how ever im going to test what ive got goingn ow on the test bench once i get back from canada (funds depended)

jerrysk8, i had to write an assigment for tafe, so i though i might as well try make something usefull!

with a little jigory pockery! anythings possible!

brad
brad
Blender

• Advertisement