Fuel Filter bleeding

Postby Syk3 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:17 pm

I have a bit of an issue trying to work out fuel filter bleeding.

I have a R2132UA housing with R2132p filter, the other day we had issues with the engine stalling when we put it into gear to take off, knowing spark was fine and air was fine i knew it was fuel delivery, it ran at idle fine which only requires a small amount of fuel.
After spending a good 2 hours on the lake trying to work out what the issue was we first thought must be bad fuel so we pulled the boat out and drove it home 2 hours away.
Yesterday i was working on finding the issue and started at the tank, fully drained the tank however it was mostly clean only a few bits of debris on the bottom nothing to really worry about, pulled the hose from tank to fuel filter off and replaced with new hose, inspecting i found nothing that would be alarming so moved to the filter and thought maybe its due for replacement.
Pulling out the housing and working out how to remove the filter (first time ive had to do this) i emptied all the contents into a bucket and got it all out, little bit of dirt but its what i expect the first filter to do, catch all the junk and stop it entering engine.
While inspecting the filter i found what looked to be gunk in the inlet tube of the housing, upon further inspection it seemed to be stuck right in the small hole so i started to pull it out thinking i may need a new housing as this should not be in the housing https://imgur.com/JlAysX as you can see a very large bit of blue silicone.
So i quickly had a look at the tank to see if there was anything similar used on it and found that there was fresh silicone on the fuel sending unit, no idea why someone would use too much and allow it to drop into the tank.

Anyway so now my dilemma how to bleed the fuel system to get my boat running nice again, ive since replaced all the hose on the boat from tank to engine and have got some fuel in the bowl of the filter but cannot seem to find anything that says how much fuel needs to be in the filter for it to be working, does anyone have a copy of the manual for the housing or can explain how to get the filter to fill up?

P.S. Sorry for the long post im new to boats and as we just got this boat 2 months ago im trying to learn as much as i can, i do have a background in working on engines just not really in the know about fuel :D
Syk3
Surface 180

Re: Fuel Filter bleeding

Postby 82Juddcraft » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Welcome!!

Carby? Injected?
Electric, mechanical fuel pump?

Have u taken it out since the rehose?

I wouldn't count electrical out just yet. A mate had a similar issue and ended up the distributor was no good and had no advance. But we won't jump to conclusions yet.
82Juddcraft

Postby Syk3 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:21 pm

82Juddcraft wrote:Welcome!!

Carby? Injected?
Electric, mechanical fuel pump?

Have u taken it out since the rehose?

I wouldn't count electrical out just yet. A mate had a similar issue and ended up the distributor was no good and had no advance. But we won't jump to conclusions yet.

Sorry should have said carby 350, electric fuel pump above the fuel tank and next to the filter.
Have not had a chance to take it out yet, did run it with fake lake, hose in a bucket, ran fine for a good 30mins no surges like it was doing before i fixed the filter issue, i did have to reset the idle but i think that was my uncle who changed it when we were having issues on the lake.
I will be trying to put it on the water this weekend if the weather comes good.

Distributor will be next on my list if it continues.

I think the image has attached, if so that silicon was stuck in a ball inside the inlet tube from tank to fuel filter
51344605_681924375542988_1301061807183495168_n.jpg

There was a few smaller parts that i found in the tank too i have not fully cleaned out the tank yet but have sucked out what i can with my little pump.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Syk3
Surface 180

Postby mof » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Silicon and fuel to not like each other at all. Silicon will swell and break up in the presence of fuel. You are not the first to get caught with silicon in the fuel system on a boat, and won't be the last.

Blow all the lines out with compressed air, reconnect electric pump and filter (new cartridge yet?). Disconnect line at carby, stick it in a large cup or bucket, and run the electric pump. You should get a smooth constant stream of fuel. If it dribbles, splutters or the like, you may still have a blockage. If it runs clean and strong, re-connect to carby and test on lake. If it's still a turd, some of the may be in the carby. But this is unlikely, as the source of the silicon was pre-filter, and the filter should have stopped the pieces of silicon.
mof
Toe 720

Postby Syk3 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:48 pm

mof wrote:Silicon and fuel to not like each other at all. Silicon will swell and break up in the presence of fuel. You are not the first to get caught with silicon in the fuel system on a boat, and won't be the last.

Blow all the lines out with compressed air, reconnect electric pump and filter (new cartridge yet?). Disconnect line at carby, stick it in a large cup or bucket, and run the electric pump. You should get a smooth constant stream of fuel. If it dribbles, splutters or the like, you may still have a blockage. If it runs clean and strong, re-connect to carby and test on lake. If it's still a turd, some of the may be in the carby. But this is unlikely, as the source of the silicon was pre-filter, and the filter should have stopped the pieces of silicon.

Yea joys of buying a boat second hand, you really do have to watch what you buy these days, any ideas on what to replace their silicone with?
Ill give the lines another check i did everything from tank to filter and replaced those lines ive just got to wait on a little bit more fuel line from filter to carb.

I think you will be right with the no silicone in the carb as it was all in the old filter housing, when we drained it we found a bunch in the bottom of the bucket, ive put a new filter in and will be running it for 1 tank then changing it out again to make sure we have gotten all the silicone out of the tank and lines.

Thanks for the tip ill try giving it a run this weekend and let you all know how i went.
Syk3
Surface 180

Postby mof » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:59 am

You can get fuel resistant silicon. Ask for it at a car parts store.
mof
Toe 720

Postby Syk3 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:49 pm

I gave it a quick run on the weekend, fuel issues gone looks like its working better now, feels like it has more power than a few weeks ago, guessing that the silicone had been stuck in the tube for a while.

Thanks for all your help bleeding was a breeze with the carb disconnected flow splatted for a second then become smooth.

New hose arrived and is getting fitted this week, not that i think i need it however good time to change it rather than wait for something else to happen.
Syk3
Surface 180

• Advertisement