Postby Hammer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:47 pm

The annoying drone of a straight 6 accross the dam.......doesn't do it for me.
wake boarding since 1985!
Hammer
Blender

Postby poida » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:10 pm

There's no substitute for CUBES !!!! :lol:
And V8s sound so good
But I'm an addict.
mmmmmmmmmm blum blum blum blum blum :mrgreen:
poida

Postby wakepod » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:40 am

nevergrew wrote:
Inguneer wrote:
dudester wrote:I've just got one question.....WHY :?
It would probably cost more to set up due to all the custom made parts,very similar amount to run,and you'd have similar power,so what would you achieve by running a turbo 6 ???

Why not? :D

My original post was wondering why it is customary to import half a tonne of metal from the US, when we have a local product that would probably do the job as good if not better!

If you have a look at the Rolco catalog, they make marinising parts for all sorts of motors including the older Ford and Holden straight sixes - it would not be a great leap to support the XR6T motor.

Why import something from overseas, when we can support local businesses. I feel it would be more attractive to buy Australian Made boats, if they had Australian Made engines.

I think the reason it hasn't been attempted by company's such as Rolco, is because A - the engine is really long, and just won't fit inside the space and B - the layman (majority of customers) get turned off by fan-dangled gadgets like turbos and blowers. families want a boat with a grunty reliable V8 - fullstop. They know that V8 in the does the job. Dad had a V8 in his boat. Uncle Bill has one in his boat and Stuey across the road has a nice V8 in his. It really doesn't matter whether it's a Holden, Ford, Chrysler or Lexus, IT IS A V8. It's what works and has worked for decades. The fact that parts for these V8's are cheap and readily available is a very big bonus. Imagine blowing a turbo in the middle of the river at Echuca in the middle of summer. Who's going to help you fix it.......no-one, because they don't know how to.

The fact that the XR6 engine has been in production since the early 90's and still isn't any marine gear for it isn't a surprise . Though I've seen and heard of quite a few Holden V6's being fitted - makes you wonder hey, does size really matter. I know my early Holden 6 is several inches longer than a small block Chev !! and the Chev is only slightly wider !!

Ski race boats is where this engine will be used I think. Boats that get launched off the trailer, run to their optimum for an hour or so then floated back on the trailer.

COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH THIS! Tried and tested is the reason for not using it. If someone disagrees that strongly....attempt it and prove everyone wrong! I for one would love to see it happen but wouldn't be game to try it. :)
Work Hard, Play Harder
wakepod

Postby CPM14U » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:35 pm

All us V8 supporters are wasting our time, I think they should be using Camira engines with turbos.
Seriously though, as someone said, No substitute for cubic inches!!!!! They don't use 4 lt motors in Kenworth trucks.......

because we can!!!!!!!
CPM14U
Wake to Wake

Postby Inguneer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:02 pm

CPM14U wrote:All us V8 supporters are wasting our time, I think they should be using Camira engines with turbos.
Seriously though, as someone said, No substitute for cubic inches!!!!! They don't use 4 lt motors in Kenworth trucks.......

The new Cummins engines in Kenworths are turbo-charged, DOHC, in-line 6 cylinder diesels, not 30 year old design pushrod V8's.
Inguneer
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby CPM14U » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:03 pm

fair dinkum 4 lt six 's .Learn something every day :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
CPM14U
Wake to Wake

Postby imx » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:22 pm

Inguneer wrote:
CPM14U wrote:All us V8 supporters are wasting our time, I think they should be using Camira engines with turbos.

The new Cummins engines in Kenworths are turbo-charged, DOHC, in-line 6 cylinder diesels, not 30 year old design pushrod V8's.

I think you will find that those Cummins engines are a lot more than 4ltrs and if you whacked one in a wake boat you probably best forget about ballast :lol:
imx
Slurpee

Postby Inguneer » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Yes, they probably are bigger. But I personally don't see a reliability or torque issue with a turbo DOHC engine.

Does anyone know what it costs to import an Indmar, PCM, or Mercruiser engine, around 320HP?

I wonder what a complete XR6T engine would cost from the Ford Spares counter?
Inguneer
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby imx » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:33 pm

If it's like any other genuine part, probably more than the car!!!
imx
Slurpee

Postby ScAredCroW » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:05 am

LOL at 4 litre diesel in a kenworths :lol:
~:MWR:~ Often copied never equaled
ScAredCroW
Toe 720
Malibu Owner

staright sixes

Postby bozzaa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:10 pm

someone said something about turbo kits for 202's. we are considering putting a turbo kit on our clinker, can get one for around $2500, and apparently isnt too hard to install yourself. is anyone else doing this, and are the power gains enough to be worth possibly making our nice running motor a lemon.

cheers
bozzaa

Re: staright sixes

Postby wakepod » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:12 pm

bozzaa wrote:someone said something about turbo kits for 202's. we are considering putting a turbo kit on our clinker, can get one for around $2500, and apparently isnt too hard to install yourself. is anyone else doing this, and are the power gains enough to be worth possibly making our nice running motor a lemon.

cheers

I have both a turbo kit for a 202 and a supercharger kit for a 202....both pull hard! Although i have only used them on cars. They are dead easy to install yourself and bolt straight on with no problems. However, a standard internal 202 which is now running boost decreases it's life span a hell of alot. Basically, blow-by will be a problem very quickly. However, a good rebuilt, with all the right low compression gear, and a nice supercharger running 6-8psi would be great on a boat. The turbo kit i have would work too....but after having both i would have the supercharger in a boat anyday of the week over the 202 turbo kit!
If you want anymore details about anything to do with turboing or supercharging a 202 let me know, i have all parts and have built many 202 engines to take massive boost!
But a small toyota supercharger on a standard 202 running 4-5 psi would be great
Work Hard, Play Harder
wakepod

Postby Inguneer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:02 pm

Hey, when did this thread become about HOLDEN motors??? :wink: :wink:

Do you have any dyno curves from a blown 202?
Inguneer
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby bozzaa » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:01 pm

cheers mate, we cant seem to get a supercharger on because theres no room for one after all the marinising is in the way. mate i just picked up an original hz ute with 110,000 original kms, i seriously want a blower on it, but am in arms about keeping it original, what do you reckon
bozzaa

Postby wakepod » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:21 am

bozzaa wrote:cheers mate, we cant seem to get a supercharger on because theres no room for one after all the marinising is in the way. mate i just picked up an original hz ute with 110,000 original kms, i seriously want a blower on it, but am in arms about keeping it original, what do you reckon

The title is 'turbo sixes in boat'...isn't a 202 with turbo a turbo six in a boat??? :lol: And we need to talk about a holden to keep the other half happy aswell :lol: Feel free to say get lost if anyone has a problem with me responding to this.

I don't actually have any dyno printout, however i have had a few of my engines on the engine dyno and the torque curve is fast and fat, however it really starts to run out quick after about 4000rpms.

The beauty about these little supercharger kits is they dont have to run massive boost, which means on a standard engine they give alot more go at low revs, which mean as long as your not trying to rev the hell out of them (past 4000) is shouldn't decrease the life of the engine, yet make them hell fun to drive.

I might even through one of the kits i have laying around up for sale in the clasifieds because i would love to see one on a boat!
Work Hard, Play Harder
wakepod

turbo six in holden

Postby bozzaa » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:55 pm

cheers mate, if you ever got one for sale, please let me know. you'll find theres some clicky dudes on this site who will get upset over some weird . ignore it.
bozzaa

Postby javelin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:41 pm

can't believe we have people comparing vl 3.0l 1.500hp engines to a stock ford 4.0l turbo engines in here.
were taking about a bolting a stock engine in a boat not a highly strung makes boost above so many rpm drag motor

since we are of topic wait till ford bring out there new 5.0l alloy v8 vvt, boost eventually D.I and more, basically more/newer technology then what the boosted 6 has now and comes in about 3-4 differant hp ratings who will bother with the six when this comes out

nicknamed coyote
gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire.
javelin

Postby xa » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:24 am

Just a couple of quick points that i think may have been missed.
It is not only rpm that brings a turbo onto boost it is also load, which there is a lot of in a big wake boat and it is also constant. So the turbo will be on boost at a very low rpm and will also be under a constant boost, therefore the fuel consumption will be bad, prolly worse than a V8. The load will drop off slightly once the boat planes but it is still much larger than a car cruising, so i dont believe the motor would ever go all the way back to a vacuum situation (which is where the fuel consumption gains are made).
Also the steps that would involve marinising the engine would remove a lot of the breathing restrictions on the turbo, so if the standard unit was used, that along with the large load would mean next to no lag. But the turbo under constant boost would have the exhaust manifold and turbo housing glowing after a only a few minutes which causes many problems in relation to heat and reliability, also the motor would need a period of time to idle at no load before being switched off or the turbo would fail very quickly.
At extra costs you could solve all these problems but the more you deviate the motor from standard form the more risks you have of unreliability.

Plus the turbo motor would be a lot lighter than a V8, and who wants to make their wake boat lighter....? :)
xa
Wake to Wake

Postby Alwaysawake » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 pm

Can someone just go ahead and throw one of these engines in please. Actually in an Aussie boat. Lets say Matrix for example. Just so they can qaush all this clap trap that's posted on here... :roll: :roll:

Cuz i tell you what. We can all go on here about every thing.. Blah blah blah. This does this and that does that. :roll: :roll:

But at the end of it. It's just gotta be either fail or fly. I give up.. :lol:
Alwaysawake
Matrix Owner

Location: Inland Sunshine Coast Rides: Somerset sum Perserverance

Postby wakepod » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:23 am

Alwaysawake wrote:Can someone just go ahead and throw one of these engines in please. Actually in an Aussie boat. Lets say Matrix for example. Just so they can qaush all this clap trap that's posted on here... :roll: :roll:

Cuz i tell you what. We can all go on here about every thing.. Blah blah blah. This does this and that does that. :roll: :roll:

But at the end of it. It's just gotta be either fail or fly. I give up.. :lol:

Couldn't agree more! Here Here (hit hammer on grease/dirt covered block of timber) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Work Hard, Play Harder
wakepod

PreviousNext

• Advertisement