Postby notorious_benny » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Personally, a hot turbo 6 Falcon dosnt sound ANYTHING like a stock XT Taxi motor. Obvioulsy a lot of people's experience with a Ford starts and ends with a ride in a clapped out taxi.

Its horses for courses, I love the sound of a big V8, but a hot six can sound just as horn.
notorious_benny
Blind 3
Malibu Owner

Postby notorious_benny » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:28 pm

al22 wrote:I have been in Dico's car and believe me it has more pull than a schoolboy! First gear is fairly useless when he puts his foot down as it flashes up to redline VERY quickly,but when she hooks up it is off like a rocket. On the other side of things when he drives sedately (not very often obviously as front tyres are new and rears are like racing slicks!) it is so, so smooth. Everyone has their choice of engines and their likes and dislikes but when you consider the fact that this is a production motor I think it deserves a bit of credit for it's potential. As a boat motor it makes it hard for a manufacturer to provide a proper (3 Year) warranty like you can with a PCM, Indmar or Mercruiser engine as well as the length in a general skiboat. Lets face it when you do buy a new boat it is a shame to have only 12 months engine/drivetrain warranty offered IMO.

Mine is Stock and 1st gear is as good as useless, will spin the top of 2nd in the dry as well!! I Love it, my license dosnt.
Stock power in the new FG's is 270kw or 362 hp in the old money.... did I mention its Stock!
notorious_benny
Blind 3
Malibu Owner

Postby wakepod » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:12 am

dudester wrote:
dico2020 wrote:http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-Does-The-World-039-s-Biggest-Combustion-Engine-Work-54883.shtml
look there so good they stuck 2 together and made 90,000hp.

Now if you want to get REALLY silly :roll:

hahaha...now thats just nuts! I couldn't see that ever going in a boat 8O 8O 8O
Work Hard, Play Harder
wakepod

Postby dudester » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:34 am

dico2020 wrote:My current car HAS to 600HP,runs reliably every time I turn the key,and is ridiculously economical.It has never struggled to pull anything we have tried pulling and when pulling a chick it is barely off idle.As a bonus it sounds a $hitload nicer than a taxi as well !!
Why fix what ain't broke.

my boat motor has ported and polished heads, cam, holley 750dp, weiand xcellerator manifold for an estimated 330hp, and its noisey, heavy and expensive to build.

am i annoying anybody yet?? lol :lol:

Well go rip that noisey old V8 out and build a boat with a turbo six in then and stop gassing on about it :roll:
dudester
KGB 540
Malibu Owner

Postby wakepod » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:52 am

notorious_benny wrote:
wakepod wrote:
dudester wrote:
dico2020 wrote:
the most powerful motors in the world by far are straight 6's (and i mean by a lonnnng way.) :wink:

What the???
Anything to back this statement up with???

:? :? :? 8O 8O 8O

Err click on the link he provided above about the 90000 hp ship motor.

I think what you meant to say was 'SOME' of the fastest engines in the world are 6's....not 'THE FASTEST'......
Work Hard, Play Harder
wakepod

Postby dico2020 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:16 pm

wakepod wrote:
dudester wrote:
dico2020 wrote:http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-Does-The-World-039-s-Biggest-Combustion-Engine-Work-54883.shtml
look there so good they stuck 2 together and made 90,000hp.

Now if you want to get REALLY silly :roll:

hahaha...now thats just nuts! I couldn't see that ever going in a boat 8O 8O 8O

LOL :lol: it IS a ship motor. too many assumptions.

quote..Well go rip that noisey old V8 out and build a boat with a turbo six in then and stop gassing on about it

i dont thing a straight 6 will fit in my 14ft tinny, the v8 is about 10mm off the back of the race seats. ill put one in a wake boat one day but at the moment im busy making money not spending it :oops:

dudester what power is the mustang(?) making?
dico2020
Blind 180

Postby Inguneer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:41 pm

Does anyone have a spare XR6 Turbo motor sitting around? Pistonbroke needs an engine for his Camero Legend, and we may be able to solve this thread's conundrum if we can do a transplant!
Inguneer
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby dico2020 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:34 pm

ill keep an eye out
dico2020
Blind 180

Postby Alwaysawake » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Inguneer wrote:Does anyone have a spare XR6 Turbo motor sitting around? Pistonbroke needs an engine for his Camero Legend, and we may be able to solve this thread's conundrum if we can do a transplant!

If that where to happen. That Camero Legend would sign on! :twisted:
Alwaysawake
Matrix Owner

Location: Inland Sunshine Coast Rides: Somerset sum Perserverance

Postby Alwaysawake » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:56 am

Now this should do the job...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alwaysawake
Matrix Owner

Location: Inland Sunshine Coast Rides: Somerset sum Perserverance

Postby dico2020 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:18 pm

oh yes :twisted: the nizpro marine vzr-60, 1500hp at 7800rpm, warrented for 30 hours race time. not a bad little side projet to their usual 600-1200hp xr6 turbo builds they spend 99.9% of their time on. i went to a tuning seminar at nizpro a couple of years ago, and simon sure knows his stuff.
Last edited by dico2020 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dico2020
Blind 180

Postby mad_rx2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:53 pm

dico, xr6's rock! I have a bf with a nizpro stage 2 mods, *not installed by them* and a few other extra's with the stock exhaust its putting out 305kw@ the wheels..15psi .. Just waiting for nizpro's new exhaust to get here! then I can have a retune and up the boost and it should see about 370rwkw @18psi (unless it pops) . They are amazingly torquey and fuel efficient motors! Ford's best thing they ever made :lol:

However, They are awsome on fuel because they are not always on boost.. If they were in a boat they would probably be more hungry than a v8 with the same power.
They need to start packaging boats with turbo diesel engines. Like chuck the 5 series bmw diesels in them..or something along the lines of rangerovers tdv6 or tdv8 engines that have pletny of response and that low range torque that would be perfect for towing a wakeboarder around with ballast/wedge down etc

Mushing the loud pedal in a turbo diesel the whole time use's hardly any extra fuel than normal coasting around .

anyway thats just my 2c
mad_rx2
Whirly

Postby Hammer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:18 pm

Was watching the show "gasoline" on community TV the other week and was suprised to see that people are placing the after market turbos on XR6's on the exhasut way back a the diff! Logically the exhaust must be cooler back there and therfore develops more power? The guy didn't give to many more details based on patents pending ect.....

A few mates in the know told me this is becoming a common high performance mod?
wake boarding since 1985!
Hammer
Blender

Postby dico2020 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:42 pm

if you have a post may 06 bottom end 370 wont be a drama, i got stuck with a crappy ba motored bf1, but a 9second pass and 430rwkw has been had with a ba rodded motor.

i wouldnt like to think how much juice a 500hp v8 would use.

xr6t motors can be made to look sexy :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dico2020
Blind 180

Postby dico2020 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:48 pm

Hammer wrote:Was watching the show "gasoline" on community TV the other week and was suprised to see that people are placing the after market turbos on XR6's on the exhasut way back a the diff! Logically the exhaust must be cooler back there and therfore develops more power? The guy didn't give to many more details based on patents pending ect.....

ummmmm not on xr6t's, their turbos are fine where they are!
was it a gold fairmont ghia? thats the only one i know of and is the quickest v8 ba 3v motor in australia (well was) . you may of seen his detomaso pantera in i think november street machine, i did all the polishing on it (full gearbox job) awesome car!

cold air dosnt help spool up a turbo, they rely on hot exhaust gasses. but their isnt that much of an issue running one down the back of a ride. the dream is a stinking hot engine bay, with freezing cold air intake temps :D
dico2020
Blind 180

Postby Hammer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:41 pm

dico2020 wrote:
Hammer wrote:Was watching the show "gasoline" on community TV the other week and was suprised to see that people are placing the after market turbos on XR6's on the exhasut way back a the diff! Logically the exhaust must be cooler back there and therfore develops more power? The guy didn't give to many more details based on patents pending ect.....

ummmmm not on xr6t's, their turbos are fine where they are!
was it a gold fairmont ghia? thats the only one i know of and is the quickest v8 ba 3v motor in australia (well was) . you may of seen his detomaso pantera in i think november street machine, i did all the polishing on it (full gearbox job) awesome car!

cold air dosnt help spool up a turbo, they rely on hot exhaust gasses. but their isnt that much of an issue running one down the back of a ride. the dream is a stinking hot engine bay, with freezing cold air intake temps :D

Watching this show blew me away too which is why i asked around. It was definately in a current model ute. I'll look into it more.
Hammer
Blender

Postby Hammer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Here we go........I wasn't dreaming!

http://www.ststurbo.com/
Hammer
Blender

Re:

Postby dico2020 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:23 am

dudester wrote:
dico2020 wrote:My current car HAS to 600HP,runs reliably every time I turn the key,and is ridiculously economical.It has never struggled to pull anything we have tried pulling and when pulling a chick it is barely off idle.As a bonus it sounds a $hitload nicer than a taxi as well !!
Why fix what ain't broke.

my boat motor has ported and polished heads, cam, holley 750dp, weiand xcellerator manifold for an estimated 330hp, and its noisey, heavy and expensive to build.

am i annoying anybody yet?? lol :lol:

Well go rip that noisey old V8 out and build a boat with a turbo six in then and stop gassing on about it :roll:

Bringing up an old topic here, only took 10 years .. But done :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avka5iQY__s
dico2020
Blind 180

Re: Turbo Sixes in Boats

Postby will » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:32 pm

That's awesome!!!
Enjoy the ride. Any time on the water is good time!
will

Re: Turbo Sixes in Boats

Postby lewy71 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:24 am

Huge Barra fan have one in a Jeep TJ Wrangler project. That may not be a great social ski boat but would be a blast to drive :)
lewy71
Crow-Mobe

Previous

• Advertisement