Lake Kurwongbah Ski Clubs days are numbered.

Postby Inguneer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:17 pm

I attended a community consultation by Seqwater tonight where they announced that power boats were to be removed from the lake, and the lake level to be lowered. Apparently the ski club was informed last night.
Inguneer
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Re: Lake Kurwongbah Ski Clubs days are numbered.

Postby JBWake » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:29 pm

I heard about that a while ago as my father is a member there. It's not new news.

My understanding is that they want to lower the water level to do repairs on the dam wall.
Brownie knows boats!
JBWake
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby JBWake » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:55 pm

Well I just heard from another source so it would seem you know more than me.

As someone who grew up skiing there that really sucks!
Brownie knows boats!
JBWake
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby Inguneer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Some very unhappy residents and ski club members, and some artful dodging by the presenters.

The reduction in level is "temporary" at 5 years, yet they are banning the boats permantently. I guess it was a convenient opportunity to close out the club.

Also no power boats on North Pine Dam. It seems that we all spent a lot of time and effort with the community consultation and unfortunately we have gone backwards on Kurwongbah and North Pine.
Inguneer
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby Angela » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:22 am

Not cool...
Angela
KGB

Postby newb » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Yup thats right.

The dam wall is apparently due for "maintenance" but SEQ water don't have any money to maintain it just now...good timing isn't! So they are going to mitigate their "risk" (of the wall failing) and drop the lake to 40%.

Up until this was happening the club had worked their butts off to come up with a way for a roster system to be done so the "public" (apparently SEQ water don't count ski club members who had to wait their turn to get on as members of the public??) however due to the need to drop the water level to 40% that somehow meant this proposal couldn't go ahead and that now it will be for non-motorised water sports. All that needed to happen was to limit the amount of boats at one time to a safe number - approx 6 id say at 40%.

Remember the club has been there for 55yrs and has had to operate under the rules set out by SEQ water/pine rivers shire (back in the day). Thats why the club has seemed like it is "exclusive" - I can tell you know it's not exclusive its just a damn long wait to become a member - again due to the rules imposed.

They want the lake to be utilised more by the public - fair enough. Skiers/wakers apparently are not a a bigger enough public community group to justify keeping ski boats on the lake. I think they are forgetting that a crew of skiers is more than just the one person who owns the boat - its their family and friends...So now if your a paddle boarder you can now add another spot to paddle - on top of your current long list of places to paddle.

As far as I know QLD waterski are being kicked off also - if you want to use a slalom course for training good luck finding an affordable option now...

Ok thats my rant for now.
newb
OHH

Postby JBWake » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks for the info. As much as it is all bad news.

Pretty pathetic that their mitigation of risk was to boot the boats off all together and effectively kill a great club that has been around for so long.
Brownie knows boats!
JBWake
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby newb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey all

If you want to support keeping Lake Kurwongbah open to boats you can help by liking and sharing the "save water skiing on Lake Kurwongbah" Face Book page.
newb
OHH

Postby JBWake » Thu May 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Here is an on line petition I would urge you all to fill out.

Not exactly sure how good on line petitions work and I know most of you will never use the lake, but I think getting booted off this lake is a bad thing as far as being the thin edge of the wedge as we don't want to loose access to any other waterways.

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/s ... kurwongbah
Brownie knows boats!
JBWake
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby wake2wake » Fri May 23, 2014 7:21 am

Signed JB
wake2wake
OHH
Nautique Owner

Postby feog » Fri May 23, 2014 11:37 am

signed
some sort of compensation needs to happen
feog
Fashion Air

Postby Slugger » Fri May 23, 2014 2:00 pm

Unfortunately I don't think anything can stop this happening. Possibly if the lake was open to the general boating public you would get more support. Hate to say it but I would suggest people who will never get to utilise this lake because of its "exclusivity" couldn't care. I agree it is a shame for members however at least they are offering something (Somerset permits) where they technically don't have to offer anything.
Slugger
Tantrum

Postby mattnemus » Fri May 23, 2014 7:19 pm

signed

unfortunately SEQ water were holding up the idea of opening the lake up to more people and if they can shut this off whats stopping from more lakes closing down. The more people who can get behind this the better.
mattnemus
Tantrum

Postby Inguneer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:58 pm

A message from Seqwater on Facebook:

Thanks for taking the time to detail your concerns about the planned change to recreation at Lake Kurwongbah. We appreciate the impact of the Recreation Review outcomes on the Lake Kurwongbah Water Ski Zone club and can see you have given the issue considered thought. In making our decision on the future of recreation at the lake, we have had to balance a number of considerations.
Seqwater’s core business is to provide safe water at least cost to SEQ communities. Our water treatment plants are located throughout the region and water treatment methods differ from
plant to plant.

This means the land-based and water-based recreational activities in drinking water catchments are sometimes prohibited or restricted to protect water quality and ultimately public health. Each lake and its catchment is different and this impacts the quality of the raw water. Activities that are allowed (or prohibited) will differ from lake to lake, depending on the quality of the raw water and the capability of the water treatment plants in the region.

Ultimately, the safety of our drinking water and the community comes first in any decision on recreational activities at Seqwater lakes, as I am sure you would appreciate.

Seqwater has been reviewing recreation across the region’s lakes since June 2013. The review covers 23 lakes grouped in 10 regional clusters. The reason for reviewing dams in clusters rather than individually was to ensure, where possible, Seqwater could provide as diverse a recreation experience as possible within each community across the region.
The key objective of the review process was to ensure that SEQ lakes and catchments best optimise the opportunity for recreation for the majority of the community. They are community assets which Seqwater manages on behalf of the community.

During our recreation review, we acknowledge there was strong support for motorised vessels to remain on Kurwongbah, we also made it clear that we would never be able to open up the lake to general skiing given its small size – less than 4% of the capacity of Somerset.
The community feedback through the review process for North Pine and Kurwongbah highlighted two main areas of demand – greater access to the lakes for non-motorised craft or paddle craft, and greater access to the surrounding catchments for trail-based activities.
The final decision on recreation for Kurwongbah was also required to take into account the impact of Seqwater’s Dam Improvement Program which will result in the dam level being reduced to below 50%. At this level it is estimated that only 4-6 ski boats could use the lake.Given the requirement to lower the dam, Seqwater was faced with the choice of continuing to allow an exclusive arrangement for skiing that would benefit a small section of the community or opening up the lake for the broader community and paddle craft.
There are a number of other dams in SEQ that skiing is permitted. Locations of all Seqwater ski dams can be found at www.seqwater.com.au, along with more information about the Dam Improvement Program and the Recreation Review
Inguneer
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby newb » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi guys

An update - best to follow the face book page - save water skiing on Lake Kurwongbah.

But the club is holding an open day (something we should have done years ago)

It's on 22 June from 9-5 at the lake. All rides are free - there will be boats of all kind so bring the family or your group down and have a board or ski on the lake.

We are trying to show SEQ Water the importance Lake Kurwongbah has on skiing in SEQ. We really want to get this place utilised as much as possible.

Whether you hate us or love us come down and find out how we plan to do this and why we haven't been able to in the past.

Cheers
newb
OHH

• Advertisement