Boating without a licence (NSW)

Postby Alastair » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:05 pm

Hey guys/ girls,

so im heading out on the water for easter, but i and one other person are the only ones with a licence. We are intending on throwing my nephew/neice onto both a tube and a pair of kiddy ski's.. i will need to be in the water to show them what to do, so i was wondering does it stipulate that an un-licenced person cannot tow at all? or as long as they stay under 10 knots will it be fine?

Typically i would just be a normal person and send my other half in to get her licence, but there isn't a boating course being held locally prior to when we are due to head to the lake.. its not a major issue, but if any1 has some insight that would be appreciated allot.
Alastair
Tantrum

Re: Boating without a licence (NSW)

Postby beamn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Anyone can drive a boat in NSW if they are not licenced as long as they stay under 10kts. Same applies if they are towing anyone....as long as they stay under 10kts there isn't an issue. Just ensure that whoever is driving does not allow the boat to get up on the plane, which typically happens about 12kts. If a Maritime BSO sees the boat planing then you run the very real risk of being fined, not to mention if anything happened or anyone was injured and the unlicenced driver was driving over 10kts any insurances you may have would be null and void.

A young adult can only tow an aquaplaner e.g. ski biscuit up to a speed of 10kts. They cannot tow a skier, i.e where the person being towed is holding onto the tow rope.

Is it an option for you to drive the boat and your friends stay in the water with the kids?

Just out of curiosity, whereabouts are you located?
Last edited by beamn on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.borderboatlicence.com.au
beamn
Surface 180
Skicraft Owner

Postby Alastair » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:48 am

Narrabri, NSW, NW of Tamworth NSW.

There is a course on up at keepit dam this week, but we have a wedding to attend so that option was blown out of the water... i will probably just end up sitting in the drivers seat all day and give tips from inside the boat. thanks for that info i must of missed it when i was browsing the RMS website.
Alastair
Tantrum

Postby wakesetterxti » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 am

to canot drive a boat with no license if it is capable of doing more than 10 knots,wether you stay under 10 knots is irrelevant,sorry guys but that is the law in nsw waters
wakesetterxti
Malibu Owner

Postby Alastair » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:18 pm

wakesetterxti wrote:to canot drive a boat with no license if it is capable of doing more than 10 knots,wether you stay under 10 knots is irrelevant,sorry guys but that is the law in nsw waters

where does it say that? because im pretty sure when i did my licence they basically said the reason behind being alloud to drive without a licence under 10knots is that if something happens to the driver an un-licenced person can man the boat back to shore ... not argueing just didnt see it in the handbook when i flicked through it, and also didn't get mentioned when i did my test..

in the penalties section i saw this "Drive vessel >10 knots unlicensed $250 fine" but it doesnt mention boat size.
Alastair
Tantrum

Postby beamn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 pm

wakesetterxti wrote:to canot drive a boat with no license if it is capable of doing more than 10 knots,whether you stay under 10 knots is irrelevant,sorry guys but that is the law in nsw waters

Sorry but that is not correct.

Anyone, even a 10 year old kid can drive any boat, as long as they don't travel over 10kts. You could drive the Queen Mary recreationally if you didn't have a licence as long as you didn't go over 10kts in NSW. The vessel's size or potential speed has nothing to do with boat driver licensing. It is relevant to vessel registration but that is it.

Taken straight out of the NSW Maritime Boating Handbook......."The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who is the master of a powered vessel operating recreationally on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots (18.5kph) or more must have a boat driving licence."
www.borderboatlicence.com.au
beamn
Surface 180
Skicraft Owner

Postby robbo5252 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:22 pm

I would be double checking that your insurance company would cover them, should something happen.
robbo5252
Surface 180

• Advertisement