Nissan Patrol Y62

Postby notorious_benny » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Just had a look at one the other day..... they look a lot better in the metal than the pictures, I am very impressed with the room and interior space, I am 6'2 and while the LC has a nice driving position the Nissan is better again and more spacious.

As the world is going diesel mad I reckon there will be some sharp buy's in about 18 months time ..... a 300kw 560nm V8 sounds like a nice drive :) :) Should tow the Wakesetter up to the mountains no worries!!

Anyone got one yet or driven one???

I am looking forward to the local dealer putting some plates on one so I can test drive.
notorious_benny
Blind 3
Malibu Owner

Re: Nissan Patrol Y62

Postby waysouth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:05 pm

I think the no diesel for most people is going to be a killer.

How does the patrol compare price wise against the cruiser?
waysouth
Blind 3

Postby goldman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:39 pm

not sure y no diesel will be the killer. I have have diesel van that the company owns when i did the figures i would have to keep it for 12 yrs to benefit(doesn't work with writes offs)my petrol prado i don't think is that thisty,towing the boat. my mechanic's prado has done 690k's no major work
In nz diesel is half price of fuel-in aussie u r better off with petrol cars.if you want better economy google Hho. :o
goldman
Tigé Owner

Postby waysouth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 pm

goldman wrote:not sure y no diesel will be the killer. I have have diesel van that the company owns when i did the figures i would have to keep it for 12 yrs to benefit(doesn't work with writes offs)my petrol prado i don't think is that thisty,towing the boat. my mechanic's prado has done 690k's no major work
In nz diesel is half price of fuel-in aussie u r better off with petrol cars.if you want better economy google Hho. :o

I think you'll find that in NZ the diesel you buy at the pump excludes road user chargers this is why diesel is considerably cheaper at the pump than petrol. You have to buy the diesel kms separately 10,000 diesel kms would be set you back between 4 and 5 hundred dollars.
waysouth
Blind 3

Postby Wake_mad_bastard » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 pm

start at 90k for ST-L model through to 123k for top of range Ti-L with no option under 90k I honestly think patrol have burnt there biggest market that being people who are right into 4 wheel driving thats just my opinion which probably doesn't count for much when it comes to market research lol.
Wake_mad_bastard
Pete Rose

Postby notorious_benny » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 am

Some dealers letting ST-L go for sub 80k driveaway already. I think thats damn good value and comparable in price to the petrol landcruiser, but much more suited to towing than the landcruiser 4.6 V8. The ST-L appears better equipped and certainly feels bigger inside.....

Give it 12-18 months and they will be going second hand for less than an equivlent 4.6 V8 petrol cruiser so will be a sharp buy.......

The non towing economy is not that bad, reports are indicating 12 to 14L/100 on the highway and 18-20L/100 around town.

I used to have a 6.2L HSV and it used about the same around town, got about 11-12 on the highway with it.

I would expect between 25 and 30L/100kph towing a heavy boat, but those 300kw are going to keep it moving !! :)

I own a lifted GU and I agree that the Y62 is going soft for hardcore 4x4 people, but as a km crusher with or without the boat the new patrol has the GU licked!!!
notorious_benny
Blind 3
Malibu Owner

Postby notorious_benny » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:53 am

And nissan is still selling the GU alongside for those who want diesel or a bush truck.....
notorious_benny
Blind 3
Malibu Owner

Postby notorious_benny » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:59 pm

As I predeicted due to being petrol V8 only sharp buys for the Y62 can be had.

I pick up my Y62 STL this weekend.

10,000km and I got it for a tick over $50k

Will report how it tows the wakesetter one I get a chance to get it out of the shed.

It would appear also that with its diff lock and traction control and good good clearance even stock it is every bit as capable off-road as an old GU and some.
A few vids coming out of people actually using them like you should a 4x4 and they can go a long way even on stock tyres.
notorious_benny
Blind 3
Malibu Owner

Postby Pane » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:52 pm

G'day

The nissans seam like good value until resale price comes into it.

I've been looking at second hand 200 series and the gu patrol. I want to cut the ass off and convert to a ute. 2 year old diesel 200 series with say 50,000 on the clock still selling for 75-80, new they were around 100,000. Same Kay's and age on a gu 4.8 petrol, bout 40-45 grand, sold for 70-80, fairly large drop!

Toyotas hold their value really well, in saying that I really like the way the 4.8 gu tows, on direct injection LPG the fuel economy isn't too bad either. Mates car gets 20-22 litres of gas round town, 18-19 doing 110 on the highway. 25-27 with 2 ton on the back of it.

It's a decision I can't make my mind up on!

Cheers
Pane
Blind 180

Postby gotkeith » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:54 am

Pane wrote:G'day

The nissans seam like good value until resale price comes into it.

I've been looking at second hand 200 series and the gu patrol. I want to cut the ass off and convert to a ute. 2 year old diesel 200 series with say 50,000 on the clock still selling for 75-80, new they were around 100,000. Same Kay's and age on a gu 4.8 petrol, bout 40-45 grand, sold for 70-80, fairly large drop!

Toyotas hold their value really well, in saying that I really like the way the 4.8 gu tows, on direct injection LPG the fuel economy isn't too bad either. Mates car gets 20-22 litres of gas round town, 18-19 doing 110 on the highway. 25-27 with 2 ton on the back of it.

It's a decision I can't make my mind up on!

Cheers

The first part of this decision is to P155 the LPG off!!!!!
gotkeith
Blender

Postby notorious_benny » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:02 am

Pane.

The whole reason the Nissan is good value as a newer 2nd hand vehicle is the low purchase price.

Mine is the new Y62 STL V8, and with 10000km on the clock was only 54g driveaway. Not the 4.8 GU.
A 200 series is a very nice car but one with those km would be 80g give or take, Probably a bit more.

Sure the Landcruiser has a higher retained value as a percentage, but in whole dollars the difference will not be that much.

I drove both and I prefer the patrol. STL vs gxl the patrol is nicer riding, quieter, feels more luxurious inside and goes like a cut snake and has more fruit.

Do some research on potential repairs on a d4d diesel or any common rail diesel before you purchase. They are mostly a good thing but if you run into injector or pump problems get ready to break out the credit card.

They are also a bit more to do routine servicing....

I will keep my 35 to 40k purchase price difference in the bank, no point giving Toyota an interest free loan that I may or may not get back come sale time.

As to the 4.8gu.

Shop around. I just sold 2003 auto for 15g. Plenty of extras, never gave me a hint of trouble, ran like a dream on petrol or LPG (injected). In fact I only upgraded as I no longer go 4x4ing on serious tracks and it was time to treat the family to something a bit more luxurious. It's still like cutting off an arm to sell the GU.....
notorious_benny
Blind 3
Malibu Owner

Postby Pane » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:09 pm

G'day

I've been looking into this more and I reckon ya on the money with your decision.

My only concern is spending the coin on a chop job, I need a ute but want a full size cabin instead of the 4x4 uses that are out.

How's it go on fuel?

Cheers
Pane
Blind 180

Postby notorious_benny » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:34 am

I havnt been able to get out much this summer due to a new baby.

But we did tow the VTX up to Talbingo dam yesterday.

I will cut and paste my observations from the patrol forum.

The short answer is the Y62 is an effortless tow vehicle with power to burn and a lot of luxury for $55k

" I did my first proper round trip with to Talbingo dam and back from wagga yesterday.

Boat fully fueled weighing 2500-2600kg

Patrol had 4 big adults and 2 kids onboard. It was a hot 40 degree day with strong northerly winds against us on the way home. We climbed the very steep pinch to the top of the dam twice and spent 1 hour and 20 minutes idling (feeding a baby and keeping kids cool).

I drove mostly at the speed limit expect in the tight sections. The patrol handled the hot conditions and the steep hilly conditions with ease. The power can only be described as effortless. The engine only needing to be revved above 3000rpm on one occasion to make sure I rounded up a 100 series towing a much smaller boat on an uphill overtaking lane. Otherwise it held on to the hills beautifully between 2500 and 3000rpm.

The final result was 339km for 81.01 litres. Which equates to 23.89L/100km. This is a real world result in hot and steep terrain and moderately adverse wind conditions, not a one off best run on a flat road at 80kph that the grey nomads like to quote. I rekon you could knock a litre or two off that figure in better conditions and with less idling.

My patrol is so far stock apart from roof racks. A mate has exactly the same model boat as me and tows it with a completely stock 200 series. He rekons he typically useds around 20k/100km on the same trip. Not a massive difference if you ask me!! "
notorious_benny
Blind 3
Malibu Owner

Postby notorious_benny » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:52 pm

Pane wrote:G'day

I've been looking into this more and I reckon ya on the money with your decision.

My only concern is spending the coin on a chop job, I need a ute but want a full size cabin instead of the 4x4 uses that are out.

How's it go on fuel?

Cheers

As for non towing driving it uses 13-13.5L/100km sitting on 120 on the freeway.

My wife drives it during the week and we are only 4km from the middle of town so it spends more time idling than moving. This gives 20l/100km.

I would expect 15-18 for flowing communing traffic.

Hope that helps you and sorry for the long delay in my reply.
notorious_benny
Blind 3
Malibu Owner

• Advertisement