Oil leak

Postby Eagle1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi hoping I can get some help with an oil leak in the velvet drive (v-drive) 2004 lewis eclipse
Think iv done a seal somewhere in tranny and I'm thinking I mite take the pressure valve out first to see if it's blocked before I send it away to get looked at
Was wondering if anybody has pulled this valve out,it's unthreaded and I'm guessing it's never been pulled out before and im expecting it's going to be a pain in the back side getting it out,Will this fix the leak if it is blocked iv read abit of info on this valve and it sounds like this could of caused the oil leak
Here's a photo of the valve,thanks for any info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eagle1
Wake to Wake

Re: Oil leak

Postby carlossa » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:11 pm

I have the same breather on my ZF trans. Mine unscrews and was blocked with rust when I rebuilt the trans. I machined up a stainless version. What tranny is fitted to the Lewis?
C
carlossa
Wake to Wake
Super Owner

Postby MACH6 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Hey,

I just had mine out the other week when I had the box off for refurb.

It is a press fit into the box and I started to round the flats off mine when I tried to get it off with a open ender. I opted to pop that crimped steel cap off (levered it off with something pointy), put a ring spanner on it and levered it up with a flat tip screw driver as I twisted. Came out pretty easy.

To get it back in I left it disassembled and just tapped it in with a brass hammer then refitted that crimped top that has a spring and a rubber washer to make a check valve.

Hope this helps.

IMG_20161210_212633-001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MACH6

Postby Eagle1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:05 am

Thanks for the info appreciated
Not sure atm what type of velvet drive it is,but just reading the manual there is a Id plate on the box,so I'll have to get back to you on that one carlossa
I had a quick go the other day with a open spanner mach6,but I didn't try to hard I could see I will need a ring spanner or a hex head,
If the box has to come out I will buy a complete clutch kit I think,gasgets seals and clutch plates,and do the lot,it's probley over due
Where would the best place to buy a clutch kit from,and roughly how money $$,I see on American site they are around the $7-800 dollars so I'm guessing it will be a fair big more here
Thanks again for the info
Eagle1
Wake to Wake

Postby Eagle1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:34 am

Hi Mach I got the release valve out without to much trouble,it wasn't bloked,but here's a photo was just wondering if that little coloured washer goes under the cap or sit on top of the valve with the spring under the cap if you know what I mean
Last edited by Eagle1 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle1
Wake to Wake

Postby Eagle1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:39 am

carlossa wrote:I have the same breather on my ZF trans. Mine unscrews and was blocked with rust when I rebuilt the trans. I machined up a stainless version. What tranny is fitted to the Lewis?
C

Carlossa i got a photo of the plate,it's model number 10-17-004, in the manual it says it's a velvet drive 5000v, I'm hoping these are the same,
Last edited by Eagle1 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle1
Wake to Wake

Postby MACH6 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Haha, the hex looks just as munted as mine :)

It sits on top of the valve mate.

So; cap, spring, washer and valve in that order.
MACH6

Postby Eagle1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:48 pm

MACH6 wrote:Haha, the hex looks just as munted as mine :)

It sits on top of the valve mate.

So; cap, spring, washer and valve in that order.

Thanks Mach I thought that's the way it went just making sure
Think this valve has been pulled out before I didn't do that much damage getting it out,it was stuck at first when I tried to blow through it,so I'm hoping it could fix the leak but it's a long shot Id say,mite be a winter project coming up getting the box reconditioned I think
Thanks again for your help
Eagle1
Wake to Wake

Postby MACH6 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:19 am

How much oil is leaking out?

Have you changed the oil recently?

Just asking because these suckers can be really sensitive in regards to the oil level being ever so slightly too high or too low. This sensitivity also varies depending on the angle the Txmn is sitting (stationary) and is operated between (rise and fall of the planing angle).

I filled mine up after a oil change right to the full line and it would vent oil when I was at high planing angles (wake surfing etc). I initially thought we had buggered something up but I lowered the oil level after reading the manual and it was all good. The manual says to lower the oil quantity as the angle increases; mine sits at about 30% up the scale on the dip stick. For an example, if it is level it takes 1.8L and at 15deg it takes 1.3L.

FYI your transmission is a Borg Warner 71C-A1 and I have the complete service manual if you want it.
MACH6

Postby MACH6 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:21 am

Here it is:

http://rnr-marine.com/trojan/Borg-Warne ... -&-71C.pdf
MACH6

Postby carlossa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:41 pm

My bet is a the front pump seal. Its the seal under the most pressure and usually around a $10 part and a bastard to change.
carlossa
Wake to Wake
Super Owner

Postby Eagle1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:55 pm

MACH6 wrote:How much oil is leaking out?

Have you changed the oil recently?

Just asking because these suckers can be really sensitive in regards to the oil level being ever so slightly too high or too low. This sensitivity also varies depending on the angle the Txmn is sitting (stationary) and is operated between (rise and fall of the planing angle).

I filled mine up after a oil change right to the full line and it would vent oil when I was at high planing angles (wake surfing etc). I initially thought we had buggered something up but I lowered the oil level after reading the manual and it was all good. The manual says to lower the oil quantity as the angle increases; mine sits at about 30% up the scale on the dip stick. For an example, if it is level it takes 1.8L and at 15deg it takes 1.3L.

FYI your transmission is a Borg Warner 71C-A1 and I have the complete service manual if you want it.

Thanks Mach no I haven't changed the oil recently,but I put around 150ml in it before I head out usually since the oil leak appeared ,I filled it to the top level marker today so I actually Probley put 200 ml in it today and it leaked pretty bad and very quickly it spat the oil out,we were just wakeboarding with the young kids so the boat was under no pressure so your theory makes sence Mach I'll run less oil I usually do run it around 50% and that gives me a hot reading that's very close to full on the dipstick ,I'll test it when its cold and mite not top it up next time and see how that goes,it's annoying,cleaning the release valve obviously didn't do anything so there is a seal gone,and it is up the front carlossa,so your right on the money mate thanks
Would the trany have to come out to change this front seal,these lewis eclipse are painfull to work on there's no room what so ever to even access the right hand manifold if I had to, it's a bad fault in the design,and no consideration went into them for self maintenance, I don't reckon
Thanks for the help appreciated I'm hoping to get the boat through till the end of the season then get the tranny looked at and change all the seals if the box has to come out
Cheers
Eagle1
Wake to Wake

Postby carlossa » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:47 am

Yes the trans has to come out and V-drive. Pain in the ass job but..........Just nurse it through the rest of the season and enjoy what we have left of it. Its always the $10 parts that can ruin your day. I had a seal blow 5 kms up a river with a boat load of people and had to be towed home.
Good luck
Carl
carlossa
Wake to Wake
Super Owner

• Advertisement