5.5m Alloy Wake Boat

Postby nevergrew » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:21 pm

That's a high quality build mate. Very impressive. Looking at that hull, it's looks to have a similiar profile to my ski Naut. Does it throw a good wake? I'm guessing being alloy, you'd need to add a bit of ballast yeah!!
nevergrew
Ozmosis 7
Nautique Owner

Re: 5.5m Alloy Wake Boat

Postby Dickj83 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

She was designed to commercial standards and is quite heavy as a result. Add the deep V to that and she puts out a half decent wake with no ballast (photos coming soon).
Having said that, I have been running upto 375kg of ballast in her depending on the ability of the people with me on the day.
With no ballast the wake is very usable for beginners, but enough to muck around on. Ballasted up she throws one of the biggest wakes that I've hit but it is quite peaky. I'm mucking around with the position of the ballast atm to try and mellow it out. The problem is that there is no room under the bow as it is full of buoyancy foam. I think i will have to invest in some lead!
I cant take any credit for the welding. The hull was put together by a professional boat builder.
The design isn't based on anything in particular. The final shape is the result of a couple of years of mucking around in my spare time.
Dickj83
Tantrum

Postby Dickj83 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:10 am

Hey guys,
Been a long while since i have posted an update. The boat is going really well. Lots of things have changed over the last 3.5 years. A few photos below to have a look at.
A few of the main updates have been:
- Windscreen
- Bimini
- Board Racks
- Stereo
- Hydrophase Speed Controller
- Custom Switch Panel
- LED cockpit lights
- Thermo Fan
- Dual Batteries
- Transom Mount Mufflers
- Wedge
- Surf Plate
We're getting a nice surfwave out of it with the wedge, surfplate and about 400kg of ballast. The wakeboarding wake is keeping us happy when unballasted but getting big and solid with the addition of any ballast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dickj83
Tantrum

Postby will » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:45 am

Absolutely brilliant!
Enjoy the ride. Any time on the water is good time!
will

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:54 am

Wicked looking boat!

Great to see more photos of it!!!

Just curious, why the carbie ls1 and not a fuel injected ls1?

Additionally do the wedge and wake plate work together in producing a better wake, or is it a one or the other kind of thing?
Rhubarb
Wake to Wake

Postby Dickj83 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks guys.

The carby was primarily put on to save money and for ease of installation. At the time i was looking at an extra $1500-$2000 to get an ignition controller to run the engine + a tune. I came across this motor with 44000km on it and having the carby kit already installed but unused for a price I couldn't resist.

The wake plate/wedge setup was one of the first things i did once she was running. The wedge doesnt really work at wakeboarding speeds as the wing stalls so it just aerates the wake. I did a bit of trial and error tuning with it but ended up keeping it as is as it works extremely well for wakesurfing, making a massive difference to the size of the wave.
The wake plate was installed to try and make the wake smaller when skiing. It will drop the bow quite a bit but all it really does is make the wake crumble and as such i dont really use it. However it is great for eliminating porpoising when the boat hits some wake.
Dickj83
Tantrum

Postby JBWake » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:23 pm

Thanks for the update!

Top job and extremely cool project :)
Brownie knows boats!
JBWake
Pete Rose
Nautique Owner

Postby Pane » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:19 pm

G'day

Top job mate.

The wake is crumbling when using the wake plate due to its design. I did the same thing on my boat and found the same issues. Your plate needs some wings on its sides and the rear. This stops the water from pushing up past a clean edge and flowing onto the wake. Look at any oem plate and it has turned up sides and back.

Cheers
Pane
Blind 180

Postby Dickj83 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks for the input Pane. I have always assumed that the edges were turned up to give rigidity to the plate. I note that mastercraft have the sides turned down - I wonder if the wake crumbling is a problem for them?
I had a custom plate on there originally with upturned sides. The wake still crumbled but that may be due to the plate being narrower at the back than it was at the front or to the fillet corners due to the press that was used to make the plate.
Either way, it is worth a shot to weld some upturned edges onto the current plate when the boat is back in the workshop next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dickj83
Tantrum

Postby Pane » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:21 pm

G'day

That could be a cause. Maybe they need to be at say a 45 degree angle. I'm sure the tige ones are about a 45.

Cheers
Pane
Blind 180

Postby hoppuspears » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:25 pm

Far out this is awesome. You must be super skilled. I cant imagine how rewarding it would have been taking it out for the first time. How long did the project take?
hoppuspears
Wake to Wake

Postby Dickj83 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:49 am

Thanks mate. I've got some pretty handy friends that were called on quite a bit! All up it took about a year to get onto the water.
First launch was a completely unplanned as we had just started the engine for the first time and my mate convinced me to put her in. Unfortunately i hadn't yet tightened the coupling bolts which made for an eventful couple of minutes! The next few trips were marred by reliability issues as i marinised the engine myself. But i eventually got them all ironed out.
Shes four years old now and still not quite finished, but i dont think she ever will be. I'm pretty happy with where she is at now but there is always something to change/fix!
Dickj83
Tantrum

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:20 am

Just curious to see if there are any updates on this wicked little boat.

Much happened in that last several months?
Rhubarb
Wake to Wake

Postby Dickj83 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:46 am

Hi Rhubarb. Over Winter I added some hinged surf gates that are permanently mounted. I also put a new swim deck on her that is angled so the surfgates can tuck in behind the transom more. Originally the gate that wasnt in use was putting a big step in the surf wave, so angling it behind the transom gets it out of the water and cleans up the wave.
I havent used her much as i had a knee reco in september which rules me out for the summer, and she was left in the shed over winter. I took her out about a month ago and she was down on power and woundnt rev past 4000rpm. I changed the spark plugs on saturday and gave the carby a quick spray clean and she is running better than ever now so i'm happy about that.
Dickj83
Tantrum

Previous

• Advertisement